EARLY HISTORY OF
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF HADDON HEIGHTS
A meeting was called by Presiding Elder, the Rev. George Dobbins, on July 15, 1904 at the home of H G Boyd on Eighth Avenue to discuss the organization of a Methodist Church in Haddon Heights. The first meeting was held on August 11, 1904 in Evaul’s Hall on Station Avenue. There the First United Methodist Church was organized and a Board of Trustees was elected and names of the members were listed. The cornerstone of The Little Gray Church was laid on October. 29, 1905 on the site of the present church and was dedicated on February 25, 1906. The Sunday School Temple cornerstone was laid on September 15, 1915 and dedicated on Palm Sunday, April 1, 1917. In April, 1922 plans were made for a new Church under the leadership of George Pelouze, the cornerstone of the present building was laid on November 9, 1922. The cost of the church was approximately $95,000, furnishings $10,000 and the organ $9,500. Early in the morning of August 28, 1941 a fire was discovered in the church. Smoke and water damage in the interior was $10,000. The Church reopened again on December 14, 1941. During 1946 the need for more adequate facilities brought about the property now used for the parsonage and conversion of old parsonage into Church School room and Church offices. By 1957, once again the Church had outgrown the available space and in March of 1957 a Building Fund Crusade was begun. On Sunday, June 30, 1957 Ground Breaking Ceremonies were held. The cornerstone was laid on January 23, 1958 and in May 1958 the new Educational Building and Fellowship Hall was opened and presented to the members. The building and furnishings cost approximately $175,000. Twenty five pastors have served this church since its beginning.
On January 13, 2019, First United Methodist Church of Haddon Heights merged with First United Methodist Church of Mount Ephraim to form a brand new church family in Fellowship United Methodist Church of Haddon Heights.